Saturday, January 3, 2009

What does this say? Honor Band?

I know it's a little late, but I just read this bit by Orson Scott Card. As we look at all the things that say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas". As to not offend anyone. Pretty clever in my opinion-

"I suppose the idea is that what if you accidentally said "merry Christmas" to a Jew or a Muslim or a (shudder) atheist. Heaven forbid you should commit such a heinous offense...
It's not as if we say, "As you think about the baby Jesus in Bethlehem, and all those slaughtered babies that were left behind for Herod's soldiers to kill after Jesus and his folks got away, and even though these events almost certainly have nothing to do with the 25th of December, have a merry day."
Or maybe, "As you drink yourself to oblivion in a dark saloon with atheists and unfaithful husbands who got kicked out of the house because of what happened at the office Christmas party, loathing everyone around you who believes in either God or Santa Claus, try to be merry."

Actually the whole banter is pretty clver. If you want to read more here is his website, or if you just want me to send that part to you, let me know.

My Christmas was decent. Saw a bunch of family and stuff. That was pretty gross. I actually got a new book by Orson Scott Card. I'll get to it now that I have a few seconds of free time. My sister and brother-in-law came out for the Christmas season. I've really missed them, and knowing I won't see her again until March and him again until November, it was pretty depressing as much as joyous. I was called a "punk" a "teenager" and even a "band kid" by Tyrel. I think he's showing affection... Kidding, but it was a great time. His favorite gift was the Matchbox pterodactyl I got him from Albertson's. With them they brought some 400 pictures from the wedding. Here are a few-

There's a million of these I want to put up, and if you want to see more, just let me know.

The Rose Parade is now over and done with. Six miles actually isn't that long. I was waiting for more after it was over. Oh, and I'd like to clarify that anyone who said Dodger stadium was horrible is a wimp. It's not that bad. At least not worth the complaints. Disneyland was pretty fun. Granted, we didn't get on that many rides, I had a fun time nonetheless. Highlight though- walking towards Tomorrowland in the mass of people I feel this tap on my shoulder. It was some trumpet players from Mexico that were marching in the Rose Parade. They were asking for a picture. So while we were crowding up the walkway and taking pictures, I started talking to one of them in Spanish. His name was Manuel. I must've sounded like such an idiot, but I was trying... Bandfest also came and went, and I didn't expect it to be that much fun. Being a left guide I had to memorize my spots for our field show, and I got yelled at enough. (I found it funny when I watched some of the videos back- The two that were yelling at me were either out of step or not guiding in the parade block.) But regardless it was all an amazing experience and some of the most fun I've had in a long time. I'd like to thank all the people that I was with, from those that came just once to see us, to those that I saw daily. And I never thought I'd create so many memories or like being around those people so much. We're going to be missing a lot of clarinets next year. There were eight seniors that won't be coming back next year. You could count John as a senior, but he's going to fail math so he can come back again.


Now that I'm done with T of R and deathly bored at home, I've been learning this song on my new-ish keyboard. It's Coldplay, but it's not Clocks. I doubt anyone I know has ever heard this song before (except Sheena), but I've been figuring it out by ear over the last couple days.

I'm off to start homework. Have a nice remainder of break.

-Julia

1 comment:

Josh said...

I like how our titles have something to do with TofR. I almost wrote 'Happy Christmas' on Erica's card but decided against it because "Some Kid Named Andrew" said she was Jewish.