Friday, August 15, 2008

More School, More Band

That almost sums up my life right now. I've been pretty busy, which is why I haven't blogged in a while. Sorry about that.

Band Camp was last week. It was much easier this year than it was last year. Just because it isn't all new to me. I'm number 28 in the field show between a sophomore named Kyoko and a senior, Kyle. At first I was disappointed with my spot, because I wasn't near anyone I was good friends with. But by the second or third day, I was content. I found out how hilarious Kyle was. I didn't ever talk to him before, but when we did start talking, we had some pretty good conversations. Whenever he says something I can elaborate on his comment, and then we just keep going for a while. I don't know many people I can do that with. He insults people a lot too, and it's rubbing off on me. I also have his tolerance level when it comes to marching band also. That's not necessarily a good thing, but at least it's entertaining. Sectionals with Dr. Price were great, because he helps so much with everything. (Speaking of Dr. Price, I just signed up for Clarinet Choir today.) I like this years field show music, but last years actual show. At least at this point.

Oh there's also a few new freshmen that Marcea and I knew from Hillview. Fortunately for us, they aren't too cool to talk to us yet. They've grown up a lot since the time we met them, and it's really cool to see them and QH now.

We just finished off the first week of school. My schedule:

1st- Alg 2/ Trig- Shy
2nd- Symphonic Band
3rd- English 10- Moreno
4th- AP Euro- Cassady
5th- Chemistry- Lebeau
6th- Spanish 2- Reyes
7th- PE Drill

I'm happy with most of my teachers. Really excited about Cassady, because my sister had him some 7 years ago. So he actually knows my name already. I hear Mrs. Shy is a great teacher, but now she just has to prove it to me. So far she's not doing so good.

Last Saturday was my sisters bridal shower. My cousin Jessica threw it at her families house. Allison got a ton of gifts, and two of her college friends helped me make the bouquet for the rehearsal dinner. If no one knows what that is (like I didn't)- the maid of honor makes a bouquet looking thing out of all the ribbons on the brides gifts. It's not really that important, but I was excited to do it. Wedding plans are coming along. Two weeks...

Marcea is having a quincenera and she asked me to be a dama. I was ecstatic when she told me about it. I'm so excited to get things started and help with things. We went dress shopping on Monday... It was actually kinda painful, being there for so long, but we got things accomplished so it's worth it. The other damas are Priscila and then two of my friends from elementary/ middle school.

At the end of last month my dad had the radio to KCRW, a station out of Santa Monica College. They were playing a piano piece and afterwards they were talking to the musician that played it. He's Chinese and his name was Lang-Lang. Then when we went to the recording of So You Think You Can Dance a few days later I saw a book with him on the cover. Then my tivo recorded an episode of "Great Performances" on PBS, and one of the guests was Lang- Lang. Then, sure enough, he played during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. So in the period of 3 or 4 weeks, I've heard his name, and seen his face multiple times.

I'm going to go watch National Treasure 2 with my little brother now. Definitely a history geek movie. Oh well, it can be pretty obvious sometimes. Maybe I'll watch Stardust after that. I miss movies.

-Julia

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hi Julia,
OHEMGEEE! Santa Monica College.. that's where I'm going! :)
Sorry, that was kind of pointless.

Your schedule sounds intense.. have fun! :)

-Tiffany

Sheena said...

I miss AP European History so much! haha I still have Cassady but I liked that subject more than American History. No offense to America. I would say my favorite topics were the Renaissance and WWII. Towards the end of the year he might show you a war movie about WWII...be sure to listen for the clarinet part during the documentary playing Copland's clarinet concerto. It's quiet but I remember exclaiming it during class and people wouldn't have an idea what the heck I was excited about. Gosh I miss his old classroom too. What's so great about the village? but of course he didn't choose to move. anyways you should play your clarinet for part of his final at the end of the year. he loves that! (entirely up to you of course) btw I'm really happy you took that class since others took AP Art History(although that class is good too). I still think love Euro more though. :D

Sheena said...

I actually kinda sorta miss Mrs. Reyes. Sometimes she makes up a word and we catch it. It's hilarious.

Kyle is pretty cool. I hope he visits during psychology. haha He said I might see a video with him in it in that class. That should be funny.

Goodness..I marched by you last year and we didn't even talk! Sometimes I wish we can redo that. It would have been really fun.