Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rude, don't bathe, and eat weird food... French?

I know I haven't posted in a while now, but lately I've been wondering- what's the point? The 4 or 5 people I know that read this already know everything that's going on in my life. So... I don't know why I continue to post. But here it goes...


So to get to DC with the band this year, I had to pay for half of my trip. My grandma agreed to help me put together a silent auction to raise some money. Last taco night a bunch of people brought old, relatively nice things they didn't want anymore to auction off. People bid throughout the night, and by the end I had raised $715. I love my family... That greatly exceeded my expectations, and now I guess I get to go to DC...


My mom is flying to Tennessee for a wedding over Mother's day weekend. Then flying to Virginia to see my sister. Then Wednesday May 13th, they're going to drive up and conveniently meet their daughter/sister in DC. I can't wait to see Allison. It's been much to long. Too bad I won't get to see Tyrel too. Considering he's in Turkey at the moment. I'm pretty sure he's fighting pirates...


Last Saturday our family got a Wii. It was totally unexpected. We went shopping at Best Buy, so my brother could get a new DS game. But then we came home with a Wii... We don't have any real games yet, but it's still entertaining enough. I'm better that Heather and my brother on almost everything, which is satisfying. They're both so good at video games, it's nice to know I can beat them at something.


Last Tuesday I went to Azusa Pacific University, Allison's Alma matter, for their wind ensemble concert. It was nice, and I'm glad I was able to go. It was really nice walking around campus. Remembering some of the things I'd gotten to do there. Just little things like where she graduated- being with my family up in the stands. Or having gone to a picnic her freshman year. Sweet memories. Dang, I miss my sister...


I spent almost all day today studying with Heather for my AP European history test coming up. Fun stuff. I don't think I'm going to fail, but I'm going to keep studying anyways. I've been pushing through the chapters. I'm trying not to give up on the Chem test, but I'm losing faith. I'll try to stay positive, but I'm not doing so well. It bothers me that a few of my friends get to go to all the study sessions after school, but I have band, which keeps me from going. So... We'll see how it goes...


Thanks to Sheena I've been introduced to Ingrid Michaelson. One of my favorites is The Chain. But besides her I've also been listening to Priscilla Ahn. She has a great voice. This is my favorite song by her. But also listen to Dream, if you get the chance.


For the past month or so Heather has been trying to convince me that French people are halfway decent. (It's a joke- but she doesn't know that. I don't have anything against the French.) So I told her if she compiled a list of ten French people that did something good for the world she might be able to convince me that French people are okay... But she's been having a lot of trouble. The only people she have so far are:


1. Joan of Arc
2. Charles De Gaulle (Leader of the Free French)
3. Napoleon Bonaparte (Whom I'm not even counting- He's Corsican...)
4. Le Chatlier
5. Montesquieu (I came up with that one... Like I said, she's really struggling...)


She even asked Mr. Cassady, and he just listed those people we had already come up with. Pretty pathetic. It's also pretty funny flipping through my AP Euro study book and reading what they have to say about the French. Like- "Voltaire compared the constitutional monarchy, rationalism, and toleration in England with the absolutism, superstition, and bigotry of his native France." Man, it's not a good sign when I find things like this entertaining. Just a reminder of what a nerd I am, I guess.


Have a nice remainder of April.


-Julia

1 comment:

Priscila said...

Thanks for posting. I think I've heard the chain before. I started listening to it and it sounded familiar. Priscilla is pretty good too. Okay, well talk to you later or something.