Sunday, February 24, 2008

Music and the Oscars

I've had a few songs stuck in my head over this weekend. I'll try to share them with you. (Forgive me if I screw this up- putting up these links is new for me...)

One of the songs was Rhapsody in Blue. I love that song... This link is actually only the first part. The song is about 16- 17 minutes long.

The second song was played by District Honor Band, so I don't know why I have it my head. It's Overture to Candide. Fun stuff. It's a good song to have stuck in your head.

While I was working on my English paper today, I listened to Holst: The Planets, and a full CD of Yo-Yo Ma. I personally like Mercury, the Winged Messenger and Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity. Well, that's enough of my geeky music-ness for today.




We just finished the movie Schindler's List the other day in history class. What a wonderful movie. I want to re-watch it, so I can take it all in. Last time I was to worried about answering a handout we got, that I wasn't fully able to enjoy the whole movie. Well, not enjoy, but think about. It's great though.


I just came home from watching the Oscars tonight. Each year some family and friends take this poll, in which you vote for who you think will win. I am proud to say that I won for the least amount of correct answers. It was quite thrilling. But after watching the Oscars I know want to see Atonement and Juno, even though it does look kind of stupid. And I definatley don't want to see No Country for Old Men, or Sweeny Todd. They look like horrible, disgusting movies if I do say so myself.


I'm trying to convince a fellow clarinet player that he should get a pet. Specifically a beta fish. Who else agrees that pet- owning is a great experience? I think that everyone should have a pet...




I must share that I have successfully completed two history assignments and and English paper, in the alloted time given. I was rather proud. One of the History assignments was to write a "Dear John" letter to your boyfriend/fiancee/husband. It was basically a break-up letter. It was set in World War II. I was Alice Meyer, from Cordova, Maryland. And I was writing to Peter Hall who was a naval officer stationed in Australia. I wrote it on June 15th, 1942. Oh, it was so much fun!
Well, that's all for now. I should really go to bed...
-Julia

4 comments:

Sheena said...

yay Candide was my fave song and I do agree it's a great song to have stuck in one's head. ahahaa...

Oh cool! That letter you had to write sounds like an interesting assignment...ohh i get it during lunch you and Josh were talking about presenting a letter. heh im assuming it was this one.

i decided that i will choose the school option rather than dropping out and joining the fastfood franchise. yay for IB(i think)!

Josh said...

So your letter went swell? That's cool. When perios 3 broke up into groups, and it was my turn to read my letter, Mr. Manthey came to our corner and wanted to hear me read mine. I asked him if he would read it for me and he did... he read all sincere and stuff. It was purtty dang awesome. He said he liked it, but I don't know. My name was Dimitri Korzakav and I was writing to Elizabeth Davenport in London (yeah a Russian/Brit couple).

We're doing this project in English where we have to present a song from a CD/mp3/ipod/etc. and the song I chose was "All that is Good" by Five Iron Frenzy. Thanks for the inspiration (for lack of a better term).

Sheena said...

OH julia sorry bout last night. My laptop shut down on me and so i went to switch to outlet power but my daddy said that i have to sleep and that i could explain tomorrow (which is today). i apologize.

HAppy March!

Marcea said...

Julia!
Hey! Whew, i'm just taking a break from doing the night questions. Next I have to complete the essay for History =p I've once again procastinated, which I'm going to try harder not to do again....

Holst: The Planets sound track was AWESOME! If I get a blank CD, would you copy the track for me?? =]

Have a Happy rest of Sunday! <3
♥ Marcea